How does the program work?
Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State offers eligible students discounted rides, inside the university-designated service area, from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Ohio State will contribute $6.50, per ride, and the remainder will be paid by the rider.
How much does it cost?
Eligible students will receive an opt-in email from Lyft. Ohio State will contribute $6.50, per ride, and the remainder will be paid by the rider. Prices may be impacted by distance, traffic, time of day, special events and prime time rates.
Request the "Lyft" option (all other selections will not apply) ride in the designated service area between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. Please make sure you're riding in personal mode and when, in the parameters, a blue banner will appear on the home screen that says, "Lyft Pass applied: $6.50 off."
You may view the ride parameters by visiting the “Payment” section in the Lyft app. Please note that tips are not required. Any additional tips paid to a driver will be charged to the personal credit card registered to your Lyft account.
Is it safe to use Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State?
Safety is Ohio State’s top priority and the Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State program is designed to offer discounted rides to be used at the student’s discretion between the hours of 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. All users should adhere to the following safety tips:
- Follow the Lyft vehicle on GPS via the app.
- Visually confirm vehicle info/descriptions matches information in the Lyft app (license plate, model, etc.).
- Matching the color: Most Lyft drivers have a dashboard display that acts as a beacon, changing color to match the rider's app and help identify their Lyft more easily.
- Ask the driver to say who they are picking up.
- If you feel unsafe, leave the area and contact law enforcement.
Lyft offers additional safety information online.
Can I access Lyft Smart Ride through the Lyft app?
Eligible Ohio State students can access Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State via the Lyft app. Download the Lyft app onto your smart phone. If you already have a Lyft account, go to your account profile and link it to your Ohio State student email to qualify for discounted rides.
Visit ttm.osu.edu/get-started to learn how to claim your Lyft Pass.
What if I don’t have a smartphone?
Riders can book a ride through a web browser on their computer or smart device (learn how).
What are the service areas? Can I use my credits anywhere in Columbus?
Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State offers discounted rides redeemable inside the university geofenced service area. All rides must start and end inside the designated service area:
- North to Hudson Street
- South to Fifth Avenue, except along High Street where service extends into the Short North to Goodale.
- East to Conrail railroad tracks (past North Fourth Street)
- West to North Star Road
- North boundary west of Olentangy River Road is just north of Ackerman Road
Are ride credits transferable to friends? Can I travel with a friend?
Credits are not transferable. However, an enrolled student can opt-in and book a ride for themself and one other person.
Is there a chance I may ride with someone I don’t know or that isn’t an Ohio State student?
Users must select "Lyft" as their shared ride option in personal mode to qualify for the university discount. Everyone should wear a face mask when using public transportation. Lyft has initiated additional health and safety measures through a Personal Health Certification program.
Under normal service, "shared" rides are activated which means there would be a chance you would travel with another Ohio State student (and guest) heading to a similar location. When normal service resumes, only Ohio State students will be capable of booking a shared ride. In addition, to qualify for program discounts, users would need to select "shared ride" when booking in the Lyft app.
What happens if I need to cancel a ride?
Ohio State does not pay any cancellation fees. See Lyft's cancellation terms.
What do I do if I need an ADA accessible ride?
What if I do not have money to pay for a ride?
Can faculty and staff use Lyft Ride Smart at Ohio State?
Faculty and staff can use Lyft but are subject to normal pricing.
What are the program eligibility requirements?
- Program discounts for the Fall Semester begins at 3:01 a.m. on July 29, 2022 and ends at 7 a.m. on January 1, 2023. Students must be currently enrolled in the Fall Semester. Access to the program may be revoked at any time, within the sole discretion of the university, for violations of law, the Code of Student Conduct, or other university policies and/or Lyft’s Terms of Service.
- Program discounts for the Spring Semester begins at 3:01 a.m. on January 1, 2023 and ends at 7 a.m. on May 7, 2023. Students must be currently enrolled in the Spring Semester. Access to the program may be revoked at any time, within the sole discretion of the university, for violations of law, the Code of Student Conduct, or other university policies and/or Lyft’s Terms of Service.
Program discounts for the Summer Session begins May 3, 2023 and ends at 7 a.m. on August 6, 2023. Students must be currently enrolled in Summer courses and / or, be an upper classmen enrolled in the Fall Semester. Access to the program may be revoked at any time, within the sole discretion of the university, for violations of law, the Code of Student Conduct, or other university policies and/or Lyft’s Terms of Service.
What if I have additional questions?
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
What should I know about cyber security?
All users should follow good computing practices. The Lyft mobile application does not require users to login after the initial account setup unless users expressly click ‘Log out’ under the settings menu. Otherwise, the phone’s security is the only defense against unauthorized access should the phone be lost or stolen. Cybersecurity for You provides additional information about securing mobile devices.
What should I do if I did not receive an e-mail to join the program?