All motorized scooter users need to follow the rules of the road. The Ohio State University supports alternative mobility options to best serve the needs of our campus community. The safety of our campus community remains a top priority, and we encourage everyone to Share the Road and look out for their fellow Buckeyes.
Vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians should be aware of the increasing scooter traffic on campus. Motorized scooter operators must review and adhere to the following rules and safety tips. For additional information about safety and service offerings, please visit Lime, Lyft, Bird or Spin.
Campus rules to follow
- Obey all rules of the road, including traffic signs and signals. Users must follow all applicable state and local laws, ordinances and university policies.
- Operators need to be 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license.
- Scooters are not permitted to be operated on sidewalks, including The Oval. The Oval is a walk-zone.
- Scooters must never block pedestrian walkways or ADA access.
- Park scooters next to a bike rack or in designated scooter parking zones. View map.
- Scooters must be operated at a low speed in the presence of pedestrians.
- Scooters cannot be used for racing, stunt or trick riding.
- Scooters are not permitted inside any building on campus.
- Operators of scooters must not carry passengers.
- Wearing headphones or ear-buds while operating scooters is prohibited.
- Wear a helmet.
- Maintain a three-foot minimum distance from pedestrians.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Watch the road for uneven surfaces and debris.
- Be wary of puddles and leaves that may hide potholes.
- Dress to be seen and do not operate at night.
- Share the Road and never ride against traffic.
- Eliminate distractions. Do NOT text while riding!
- Be mindful of where the scooter is parked to ensure that campus pathways remain accessible and safe for the entire university community.
- Upon arriving at your destination, remember to dismount as you exit the roadway and walk the scooter to the rack.
- Park scooters next to a bike rack or in designated scooter parking zones.
- Scooters may not be parked in pedestrian pathways, vehicle parking spaces (including ADA), on ADA ramps, stairwells, inside buildings, doorways or other areas where they block egress or ingress.
The recommendations included above are intended to increase safety when riding a motorized scooter but are not intended to be an exhaustive list of safety precautions or to guarantee operator safety. Operators are expected to review and abide by any terms and conditions agreed to in order to ride the motorized scooter. As with any device used for transportation, users operate at their own risk.